Monday, June 29, 2009

151 Guerrilla Marketing Ideas :: Tell A Friend

Today's Low-cost, High-impact Marketing Ideas focus on Tell A Friend aka Word of Mouth.

For the full list of ideas, organized by category, check out this post.

  1. Make up some business cards to be your "Tell A Friend" cards. You can use these to create a referral discount program, where each customer is assigned a unique referral # that is printed on their tell a friend cards. If this # is mentioned in future orders, the original customer receives an X% discount on their next purchase from your store.
  2. If you are selling multiples of the same item and sell one, you can include a few "tell a friend" business cards with the order - that include a photo of the item they purchased. Customers will sometimes share these with people who ask them about your item.
  3. When a customer refers a friend to my shop and that friend buys something, I offer the first customer 10% of their friend's purchase as a store credit. So if the friend buys a $20 item, the first customer gets a $2 credit on their next purchase. They can save up their credits and use it for their entire purchase (They still pay shipping.) Your customers would be really working hard to get people to buy from you. The new person would need to give the first person's name and convo you to say 'So and so referred me to your shop'
  4. I would put a 10 referral limit on the referrals and only offer it to a person that actually buys something from you.
  5. Assign everyone a code that they must pass on to whomever they refer. Referee must put code in notes to get discount. It could be something as simple as the person's name with letters or numbers or something like that. If you keep a little chart, it'd be pretty easy to keep track of.....
  6. I made a purse for a friend of mine that lives far away from me. Anyway she had sent me a message on MySpace telling me that all her friends LOVE her purse....and one of her friends saw that comment and found me....now she's interested in getting something from me!
  7. An unknown customer (that is one with no previous knowledge of you) who has a positive experience will tell 5 people. That same customer - if they have a negative experience - will tell twice as many people
  8. When I first opened my shop, I sent an email to my friends and family. My brother- in -law forwarded it to a friend who was remodeling their house and they bought a painting.
  9. I remember from the guerilla marketing book was that I should be spending half my marketing efforts on my current/previous customers
  10. http://www.practicalecommerce.com/articles/935-Ecommerce-Know-How-Start-a-Buzz-with-Word-of-Mouth-Marketing

As mentioned in this post, the ideas in this post came from my snippets of ideas saved from Etsy forum posts over the last year. If you provided an idea listed here, please comment and I'll credit the idea to you with a link to your shop, ok?







Did you like this post? How about subscribing
in a reader or by Email?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you - I appreciate all comments, questions, praise, criticism, suggestions, requests, reports ...