Monday, June 15, 2009

151 Guerrilla Marketing Ideas :: Conversation Starters

Today's Low-cost, High-impact Marketing Ideas focus on Conversation Starters.

For the full list of ideas, organized by category, check out this post.

  1. Oh, and standing in line at the Post Office is another good way to network. We meet lots of Etsy and eBay sellers there who swap info with us. Have a bag with your ETSY url on it to take your packages to the post office.
  2. I'm a knitter. So, I work on my items in public (coffee shops, city busses, standing in the check-out lane at the grocery store). People always ask about it.
  3. Use friends as models. The more people you involve in the process, the more they want to know how THEY did, and they'll tell their friends and family. I've asked friends to model, and they get all excited to let their other friends now "Hey, I'm on a website!" It's mostly unintentional advertising, but hey, you get the word out and get to involve buddies!
  4. A good one I do is I make stuff during my lunch break in the office break room. Lots of people stop and ask about it (men and women!) and I hand them my card.
  5. Also, be sure to inform your alumni newsletter about your shop/website/blog
  6. You can wear a painting!!! hahahaha!!! i have tee shirts made with my artwork on them. Seriously, print off your work at http://www.cafepress.com/ or http://www.spreadshirt.com/ and wear it! You can print your art on all kinds of other things, too.
  7. I also work on a lot of my designs on a bus and noticed people watching me while I did it (what else is there to look at on a bus?) so I made a sticker with my URL and stuck it (upside down) on the lid of the little wooden box I carry around my most recent project so people can check it out if they want to see what I was making.
  8. I dress blatantly and outrageously punk rock all the time. It doesn't matter how small the outing. If I'm just going to pick up some NyQuil from the drugstore, I will still get all decked out. Then I hand out business cards like crazy when people ask about my outfit.
  9. I'm planning on taking some paintings and working on them in the park. People love to watch an artist at work and if you can put up with the interruptions and people's kids hanging on you, you can drum up a lot of business.

As mentioned in this post, the ideas in this post came from my snippets of ideas saved from Etsy forum posts over the last year. If you provided an idea listed here, please comment and I'll credit the idea to you with a link to your shop, ok?






Did you like this post? How about subscribing
in a reader or by Email?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you - I appreciate all comments, questions, praise, criticism, suggestions, requests, reports ...