Today's Low-cost, High-impact Marketing Ideas focus on Contests & Giveaways.
For the full list of ideas, organized by category, check out this post.
I want to preface today's list with a link to this post in Etsy's Storque regarding contests. By sharing these contest ideas I am not advocating contests, but just relaying info about what other people have said or done.
That said, here is today's list of ideas:
- Enter your crafts into contests...such as the county fair. Winning competitions and contests is a good way to get your name out there and win some money or recognition to boot!
GIVEAWAYS - Do they help?
- I just recently ran my first blog giveaway. I had put an announcement in my shop announcements. I had over 400 views that weeks and over 100 people register for the contest. I would say that was pretty successful, and it was a ton of fun. ;-)
- It is pretty easy, and it does get you traffic
- I know that it generates a lot of views, some hearts, and we've got our fingers crossed about more sales :)
- I participated in a blog giveaway earlier this week on another seller's blog that gets a TON of traffic and someone who read that blog found my site via that blog and purchased $80 worth of prints from me
GIVEAWAYS - Great Ideas
- EcoEtsy Team did a scavenger hunt through participating Etsy team shops - http://ecoetsy.blogspot.com/2008/02/st-patties-day-team-scavenger-hunt.html
- You could have a contest to post a picture of yourself in one of the ugliest fads you've ever owned. E.g. slouch socks with rolled up stonewashed jeans. And then vote on which one you think is the ugliest and they win something.
- Do a monthly giveaway for those who sign up for your blog/newsletter.
- I have a mailing list that I ask people to join, and I pick monthly from that list. I am also having a blog give away right now, and to have a chance to win, you just have to comment to that post.
- I have people enter my giveaway by sending me photos of things made with beads from my store. I let them know I'll use the photos to create product pages that are inspiring and creative instead of the same drab photos.
- Every blogger that featured us during the month of April, would be entered in the drawing to win.
- I often like product testers for some of my items before I launch them for sale. I was thinking of doing a giveaway for a beta product, so it could be something small or big, with the expectation that the winner(s)would use it, abuse it and answer a few questions in a month's time.
- OneWorld One Heart - an annual worldwide giveaway every January
- I have a giveaway at the beginning of every month.
- How about a "free flair" giveaway where I would send people a free button and then I would ask them to send me a picture of their "flair" in action--- wearing the button on a jacket or purse or whatever--- that I would post on my blog with their link.
As mentioned in this post, the ideas in this post came from my snippets of ideas saved from Etsy forum posts over the last year. If you provided an idea listed here, please comment and I'll credit the idea to you with a link to your shop, ok?