Monday, September 1, 2008

My True Love

Ever since I was a little kid I have been in love with marketing. As a kid I paid attention to the techniques companies used to draw attention to themselves and their products. TV shows were boring but I was glued to the ads. Logos fascinated me and I always took note when I saw an unconventional (bit effective) use for a logo.

Every aspect of marketing has held my interest, regardless of which career path I was heading down. As a young adult, I loved how the busiest and most profitable taxi company in Minneapolis required their drivers to wear tuxedos, deoderant, and aftershave - their fares were the same as the grubby cab drivers, so guess which company I called every time I needed a cab? I also marveled at the way that leasing firms managing the skyscrapers in downtown Minneapolis used the aerial view of the building as part of their logo. During that time I worked as the Head Concierge (kon-see-AIRzh) at one of the largest hotels in downtown Minneapolis where I unknowingly learned myriad marketing concepts and techniques.

Being a Concierge has been one of my all-time favorite jobs because it was so exciting. Ok, the perks and spiffs (freebies from businesses in exchange for my staff sending business their way) were great. What I didn't realize was that I was learning some incredible fusion marketing techniques and that the busiest, fastest-growing companies were managed by what are now known as Guerrilla Marketers. I took notice of what they did and created training programs for my own staff to follow their lead.

Now many years later, the addiction to marketing has become stronger than ever.
Last year I started my own gift-ware company, and while I have started to implement my favorite marketing techniques, it's not enough to satisfy my urge to do even more. I realized this when I took a long hard look at my blog, The Pass It On Plates blog and realized it is more about marketing and small business than about Pass It On Plates. Instead of seeing a red flag waving for all the non Pass It On Plates content on the blog, it waved a little golden flag, sending a powerful message: "It's Time."

Time to start another blog to support my new addiction.

Welcome.
Here you will find Concierge Marketing-style services and info on how to market your business, beginner tips and tutorials for blogging and navigating the internet, an introduction to computer and internet tools you can use, basic business tips, and other related information for anyone who is starting a new business or working to expand an existing one.

What, exactly, is a Concierge? According to CreativePro.com "A concierge is someone who represents the buyer and makes sure that his wants are met in the best possible way."

So in terms of my marketing services, to rephrase CreativePro.com, I represent you and make sure your business wants are met in the best possible way. For more information about Concierge Marketing, check out this Concierge Marketing blog post by Jay Lipe of Master Biz Builders.

I still need to come up with a name for this blog, so for right now I will just use my name. It may change, it may not change. We'll see. Check back often to see what's new and please comment to let me know what I can do for you.
Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. OMGOODESS! tHIS ROCKS! You need to get this on Entrecard!!! People will gobble it up! With gratitude, Laurie B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? Ok, I'll go check it out.

    I just figured I was going to go crazy if I held back, so I had to start marketing/coaching ...

    This week I'm scurrying to get things finished up before I head to L.A. for 7 days, so watch for my Entrecard debut during the second half of the month.

    (Hmm, I have something BIG coming up and was toying with the idea of getting Entrecarders involved... I think I definitely have to get them involved. Stay tuned...)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you - I appreciate all comments, questions, praise, criticism, suggestions, requests, reports ...